HGRM always needs donations of clean, usable furniture and household items for individuals and families in need. As we provide more than 300 households with essential household items each month, a steady stream of donated goods is crucial to our mission.
When considering what to donate, please remember that our clients are often coming out of hard times. Items should be currently serviceable and in a gently used condition that you yourself would use if they were not excess. We do not accept clothing or food. In general, we need household items that can be used by a family living in a small apartment.
Some of our most needed items include the following:
Furniture: Metal bedframes, Mattresses & Box springs; Dressers & Bureaus; Night Stands; Kitchen & Dining Room Tables & Chairs; Sofas, Loveseats, Sofabeds & Recliners; Coffee & End Tables.
Kitchenware: Dishes, Glassware, Pots and Pans, Flatware, Cooking Utensils, Baking Pans & Casserole Dishes, Toasters & Toaster Ovens, Coffee Makers, Mixers, Blenders, and Countertop Microwave Ovens.
Linens: Sheet sets, Blankets, Comforters and Towels; New or like new Bed pillows
Basic Household Items: Area rugs, Framed prints, Mirrors, Fans, Space Heaters, Vacuum Cleaners, TV's (10 yrs or newer), Radios, Irons & Ironing Boards, Shower curtain liners, Dustpan & Brooms, Small Trash Cans.
NO CLOTHING or FOOD PLEASE!
Click here for a one page pdf version of the following Donation Guidelines
Items need to be clean and in GOOD working condition
We cannot accept broken, torn, stained or unusable items
- Mattresses, Box springs, Bed frames, Bunk beds (No hospital beds, water or motorized beds)
- Bureaus, Dressers, Armoires
- Bookcases, Cabinets, Desks (up to 3 ½ ft wide), Entertainment centers, Sideboards
- Couches, Sofa beds, Futons
- Chairs (No 4 wheel chairs)
- Tables - (No glass top, gaming or drafting tables)
- We cannot accept: metal desks, large metal units, wall mounted cabinets, large office furniture or file cabinets
- Household Appliances: Blenders, Coffee makers, Electric pans, Fans, Food processors, Space heaters, Irons, Countertop microwaves, Mixers, Slow cookers, Toasters, Toaster ovens, Sewing machines, Vacuum cleaners
- Large Household Appliances: 10 years or newer - Refrigerators, Washers and Electric dryers
- Air Conditioners (110V up to 8,000 BTU)
- Lamps (No halogen lamps)
- We cannot accept: Built-in appliances, Air purifiers, Cooktops, Gas dryers, Bread machines, Dehumidifiers, dishwashers, Fondue pots, Freezers, Humidifiers, Ice cream makers, Ovens, Pasta machines, Popcorn Poppers, Stoves, Hair dryers, Personal care appliances
- Car seats (within expiration date), Changing tables, High chairs, Pack-n-plays, Safety gates, Strollers, Toddler beds
- We cannot accept: Recalled Items, Cribs, Carriers, Bike Seats, ExerSaucers, Jumpers, Swings, Toys, Walkers
- Computers (5 years or newer); Monitors (flat screen only), DVD players, VCRs, Printers (3 years or newer); Complete stereo systems, Radios, Televisions (10 yrs or newer)
- We cannot accept: Tapes, CDs, DVDs, slide projectors, speakers, turntables, scanners or fax machines
- Pots and pans, Baking pans, Cookware, Cooking utensil, knives
- Dishes, Glasses, Flatware & Mugs - Sets of 2 or more (No wine glasses or mugs with logos)
- Mattress pads, Sheets, Blankets, Comforters, Bed pillows (new or like new), Towels
- Curtains and Curtain rods (No custom window treatments, blinds or shades)
- Framed art & mirrors, Photo frames, Home décor items, Rugs (bound, 8x10 or smaller)
- Books: Only Children’s Books, Cookbooks
- We cannot accept: ashtrays, baskets, candles, candlesticks, holiday decorations, punch bowls, vases
HGRM CANNOT ACCEPT: Automobile equipment, Bicycles, Building materials, Clothing, Cribs, Exercise equipment, Fireplace equipment, File cabinets, Food, Holiday decorations, Light fixtures, Musical instruments, Outdoor furniture & equipment, Plumbing fixtures, Sports equipment, Suitcases, Toys.
revised January 2013
Detailed list and guidelines for items we do accept (please note we are unable to pickup certain items on this list)
Detailed list of items we do not accept
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
We thank you in advance for your support in helping us help our community!
If we do not accept your item(s),please consider donating to another organization.
Donation Drop-Off at our Warehouse
We encourage donors to bring items to us if at all possible. Our donation drop-off hours for items we accept (in good condition) are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, 9am-noon. We are located at 530 Main St. in Acton, MA (directions and map
). Please call or email us
if you are unsure of items that we will accept.